I have been a fan of C.J. Cron since he was drafted by the Angels. I am not sure what made me start following him, but I have. And this is my first autographs of his, acquired this spring, so that is cool.
- Cron was drafted by the Angels in the 1st Round of the 2011 draft out of the University of Utah. It was his second time getting drafted; he was also a 44th round pick in 2008 by the White Sox.
- He was considered the best hitter in the 2011 draft, with 80 raw power and an advanced hitting ability . He was mostly a catcher in high school and college, but an injury forced him to first base. It did not hurt his draft stock at all, which should tell you how much teams liked his bat.
- Coming up through the minors he was rated LA’s #5 prospect in 2011, #3 in 2012 and #2 in 2013. He was not great defensively, but his bat was everything it was advertised. This is highlighted by his 2013 Arizona Fall League, when he led the league with a .413 average. For a player whose game was power, not walking, that contact ability was a huge plus.
- He made the majors in 2014, getting 242 at bats. He would go .256/.289/.450 with 12 HR. Really nice numbers for his first round in the big leagues.
- In 2016 he was wobbled by a broken hand, but still got in 407 at bats. He would hit .278/.325/.467 with 16 HR.
- Cron is having a nice spring, hitting .340/.393/.640 in 54 at bats. He should open the season the Angels starting first baseman.
|3 Yr||3 Yr||3 Yr||308||1027||116||274||43||157||51||218||.267||.308||.453||.760||111|